Colgate released an updated “Healthy Foods List” that showcases the benefits that seven particular foods have on the look and strength of your teeth.
Oral hygiene is partly about developing healthy habits, and also about the foods and drinks you consume on a daily basis. The phrase, “You are what you eat” really does ring true. If you do not properly care for your body, your oral health will be one of the first areas to decline. In order to fully care for your body, you must practice healthy habits, as well as supply your body with the nutrients it needs to function properly.
These seven foods contain natural nutrients that are known to help strengthen and brighten your natural teeth.
- Cheese: Cheese has been found to raise pH levels in the mouth, which in turn lowers the risk of tooth decay.
- Yogurt: Yogurt (sugar-free) is high in calcium and protein, which naturally strengthen your gums, as well as healthy probiotics that are known to benefit the gums.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are packed with vitamins and minerals that promote oral health by helping to build tooth enamel.
- Apples: Apples are high in fiber and water, which help to flush out bacteria and unwanted particles in between your teeth and help to stimulate your gums while chewing.
- Carrots: Carrots are also full of fiber and when chewing release saliva in your mouth that assists in flushing away bacteria and minimizing your risk of cavities.
- Celery: Celery’s stringy consistency helps to remove particles and bacteria from your teeth while chewing, similar to a toothbrush, and is also a great source of natural vitamins A and C.
- Almonds: Almonds are a great source of calcium and protein while remaining low in sugar, the perfect combination for strong, healthy teeth.
By consuming these regularly, you are setting yourself up for smile success. Combined with routine at-home brushing and flossing, and regularly visiting your dental clinic, your healthy smile will last a lifetime.