To ensure a beautiful smile for years to come, good oral hygiene starts with a regular routine at home that includes brushing your teeth twice daily and flossing at least once a day. Maintaining oral hygiene also includes taking care of your gums. Here are three ways to keep your gums healthy:
- Eat colorfully. The key to a balanced diet is to include a variety of foods from each of the five major food groups. But did you know your food and drink choices can also help you have healthier gums? An article on com points to research that supports how yogurt, green tea, even fruits and vegetables high in Vitamin C can lower your chances for periodontal disease.
- Therapeutic mouthwash. Bacteria thrive in dark, moist environments. Meaning, your mouth can be chock-full of germs. Unfortunately this can be the perfect set up for gum disease to occur. Using a therapeutic mouth rinse with an active ingredient to kill bacteria can halt gum disease in its tracks. Just be sure to choose one with the ADA Seal of Acceptance for fighting plaque and gingivitis.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Dental visits are essential for the maintenance of healthy teeth and gums. Scheduling an appointment with your dentist every six months for a checkup can help prevent a problem early when it is easier to treat. For those who are at a high risk for gum disease, it may be necessary to visit the dentist every three or four months or even more often. High risk groups include:
- Pregnant women
- People with current gum disease
- People with a weak immune response to bacterial infection
- People who tend to get cavities or build up plaque
The team at Arvada Dental Center is here to support your healthy oral care habits. Schedule your cleaning today to start your year off right!